Thursday, November 17, 2011

Weyerbacher Idiot's Drool Release Night. Timing is everything!



Tonight could easily be described by the t-shirt logo above. After missing out on the release party for
Rapture, I left work at 3:30 and drove an hour for the Idiot's Drool release party. Idiot's drool is Weyerbacher's insanely delicious barley wine style ale Blithering Idiot that was then aged in oak barrels for 4 and 1/2 years!!!! I found parking then hesitated for a few seconds in the car, deciding "should get changed out of my dirty work clothes or not", I voted against it due to the large number of cars still pulling up and circling the area. Slipping in line about 30 seconds before the next two guys arrived behind me.

this is only 50% of the total line

The wait begins...
I took to chatting with fellow craft beer enthusiast to try and pass the time as the sun eventually set, the wind picked up and it dropped into the 30's. Thankfully it didn't rain or it could have been a harsh evening for some. The doors eventually opened and the line began to slowly creep forward. The people you were standing with eventually got talked out and we all began to feel concerned. Seeing person after person with an Idiot's Drool case walking out the door and leaving made everyone realize that if you didn't get it, it was gone for good. When we got close enough to see inside, but not see the cases of Idiot's drool, Bill Bragg(scroll to the bottom of the Weyerbacher page for Bill's bio) began walking up and down the line counting heads. Someone asked how much was left. Bill's response, "not much". I nervously ask, "are we going to get some where we stand in line?" Response, "it's gonna be real close, there are only about 40 bottle left." Nervousness begins buidling. A girl starts walking up and down the line, offering people $30 a bottle if you are able to get one for her. People then realized they weren't going to get any.


the chaos inside the brewery. this is the order line, and pay/pick up line mashed together.

Eventually the order table was in site and I could see the actual cases. At first there was 10 cases upon walking in. Look away for a second, now there was 8. Take a step forward and let someone by, now 7. Needless to say, it was nerve wrecking. Sooner or later, there are 3 people in front of me.  Now 1 person in front of me, and only 1 last case. Panic! If he takes all 12 like he said he may, then I'm the first person to come in last! He takes 6! I get the very last 6 bottles available!!!!!! I still feel nervous. Stepping up, handing them my order slip, the guy turns around, then looks at me. In a low voice he says, "You get the last case". Remember how i thought about getting changed in the car? And how the guys who were behind me walked up about 30 seconds after I did? Timing is everything!

view from my spot in the pay/pick up line.
the case on the floor all the way to the right is my case.
dangerously close to anyone wanting to make a desperate attempt for beer.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled. The crazy part, Idiot's Drool was priced at $23 a bottle for a 750ml cage and corked bottle. I bought 6, and haven't even tried it yet!

This was a fun night. Got to talk to some other beer enthusiasts, chatted with people from the brewery, and picked up some damn good beer. In addition to the Idiot's Drool, Rapture was available so ended up throwing 4 of those in there too with 1 Merry Monks, and 1 Double Simcoe IPA

What a night!

No caption needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment